The Rattled Knitter

A piece detailing my life as a mother and avid knitter.

Thursday, April 29, 2010



I'm Zhu Zhu for Zhu Zhus

So my daughter requested that I start making items for her beloved Zhu Zhus. Here is my humble start. It's a crocheted carrier that is based on the style of carrier that is already sold in stores for Zhu Zhus.

I figure it is a decent base pattern ready for embellishments and updates. I'm envisioning adding some
beads, buttons, ribbons and other such 'bling' to my later carriers. Hopefully, I'll have some time opportunities to create a few more with improvements.

The pattern:

Supplies: scrap amounts of worsted weight yarn in 2 colors, crochet hook G, set of double pointed needles size 2 (for i-cord handles)

Gauge:
5 stitchs per inch; 5 rows per inch

The body:

In main color, ch6.

row 1: sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in next 4 chains, ch1, turn (5sc)

row 2: 2sc in first sc, sc in next 3 scs, 2sc in last stitch, ch1, turn (7sc)

row 3:
2sc in first sc, sc in next 5 scs, 2sc in last stitch, ch1, turn (9sc)

row 4: 2sc in first sc, sc in next 7 scs, 2sc in last stitch, ch1, turn (11 sc)

row 5:
2sc in first sc, sc in next 9 scs, 2sc in last stitch, ch1, turn (13 sc)

row 6:
2sc in first sc, sc in next 11 scs, 2sc in last stitch, ch1, turn (15 sc)

row 7:
2sc in first sc, sc in next 13 scs, 2sc in last stitch, ch1, turn (17 sc)

row 8-13 : sc across, ch1 (17 sc)

row 14: sc across only in the backloops (17sc)

row 15-26 : sc across, ch1 (17 sc)

row 27: sc across only in the backloops (17sc)

row 28-33 : sc across, ch1 (17 sc)

row 34: dec in first 2 sc, sc in next 13 sc, dec in last 2 sc, ch1, turn (15 sc)

row 35: dec in first 2 sc, sc in next 11 sc, dec in last 2 sc, ch1, turn (13 sc)

row 36: dec in first 2 sc, sc in next 9 sc, dec in last 2 sc, ch1, turn (11 sc)

row 37: dec in first 2 sc, sc in next 7 sc, dec in last 2 sc, ch1, turn (9 sc)

row 38: dec in first 2 sc, sc in next 5 sc, dec in last 2 sc, ch1, turn (7 sc)

row 39: dec in first 2 sc, sc in next 3 sc, dec in last 2 sc, fasten off (5 sc)

weave in ends.

Trim:
Using the contrasting color, sc around the curve and front loops. Do this on the front and back sides.

Handles (make 2):
Using main color and #2 dpn, knit 5 rows of stockinette stitch, the begin making i-cord for about 5 inches. End the i-cord with 5 rows of stockinette stitch. Use the tails to sew the handles onto the body of the carrier.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo adorable! Hunting around now for some cool colors for my grand-daughter's zhu zhu's Thanx so much for sharing!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Piper Magnolia said...

Thank you. I hope she enjoys it. :)

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Melissa Graham said...

Thanks for sharing this!! My kiddo's are going today to get more zhu zhu's and I am trying to find some patterns to make stuff for them. This is too cute and I can't wait to get started making some for my little zhus.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Melissa Graham said...

Please let us know when you get more ideas and If I come up with any I will try to share mine.
melsdaisypatch@gmail.com

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Piper Magnolia said...

I had a couple of ideas when I designed these carriers, but I never crocheted them up. I have some time coming up next week, maybe I can devote some time to it. :)

Have you made any of the carriers yet? I would love to see pictures.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Melissa Graham said...

I plan on starting on some today. If I get a chance to finish one I will send you a picture.
Melissa

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Kyliie said...

I love this! I cant wait to make them for my little sisters!

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son got two Zhu Zhu pets recently and this looks the perfect pattern to make them little carriers....will post pics on ravelry when done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home