The Rattled Knitter

A piece detailing my life as a mother and avid knitter.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006


Camouflage Cheese

Well, I decided to break down and introduce a new food today to Enid. She seems to be feeling better and the length of time between new foods is getting ridiculous. We tried cottage cheese today, which didn't go over as well as I expected it would. We tried it as a finger food, which she merely threw on the floor for the pups. I grinded it up and spoon fed it to her and you would have thought I was trying to poison her. She started fake gagging (I can tell the difference now after the "pea episodes"). Finally, I mixed it with plums and she ate, only while giving me a very knowing look "You aren't fooling me, mama. I know they're in here, but I'll eat them anyway." At least today's brekkie was a success in that she ate her dairy and fruit allotments. I'm becoming a professional at getting her to eat things she doesn't like.

It's official. Enid started crawling today. She crawls like a little inchworm, very accordian-esque movements. It took me a while today to find something that would motivate her to get her locomotion kick-started. The Sassy bug jar came in very handy. I emptied the little bugs onto the floor and spaced them a couple of feet apart. The lightning bug was the furthest away since he's the favorite. As soon as she was able to grab the bee, she was so elated that she continued on to the next bug, and the next, until she got the ultimate prize...Mr. Lightbulb!


Grrr....

I'm getting very frustrated with the name-picking for grandmothers. Originally, there was a Meemaw, a Granny, and a Gigi (all fine), but now John's mother wants to be called "Maw" instead of Granny. I probably shouldn't have a problem with it, but I want to be called "Mama" (or "Ma" when she wants to shorten it) and I feel it's too similar. I'm sorry, but it's my personal opinion that there should be certain terms reserved only for mothers and that falls into that category. I'm NOT pleased at all. I completely feel like she's stepping on my toes. If we didn't have such a tumultuous relationship to start with, I would definitely say something. I just feel I'm always walking on broken glass with her (and with John when it comes to her since he's so protective of her). She has a knack for doing things that I completely find inappropriate and offensive, so I guess I should have seen it coming. Well, I think I might have to do some elusive work and train Enid to call her something different. *cackles* My darker side is starting to become more apparent daily.




3 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol @ how devilishly nice of you Freya! (re the mother-in-law!)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Melissa Graham said...

try grammy on her and see how she likes it.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Piper Magnolia said...

Lol. I wish. Anyway, 4 1/2 years later I've gotten used to it. It was *my* name that actually changed, since everyone assumed I would want to be called "mommy"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home